Whether “Soul of an Octopus” author Sy Montgomery is writing about the personalities of gorillas, hummingbirds or octopuses, she wants people to understand one thing: “This is what we have to lose.”Montgomery believes humanity is at a turning point with climate change — people will either destroy the Earth or revolutionize their way of living.
“It appalls me that even now we have politicians who deny climate change is real and that we have to do something about it,” said Montgomery, who first started writing about the issue 30 years ago.
There is a lot an individual can do to make a difference, she said and listed eight ways to take action.
“It doesn’t have to feel like you’re putting out a fire. It can be a great chance to build community and have a blast.”
1. Vote for somebody who is going to make a difference and do everything associated with that vote, get the word out.
2. Buy a car that gets good gas mileage.
3. Become a vegetarian or a vegan.
4. Teach children.
5. Have fewer children or choose not to have children.
6. Join a beach cleanup crew.
7. Volunteer your time and treasure.
8. Write a letter to the editor.
9. Turn down the thermostat.
10. Buy a sweater.
11. Insulate your home.
12. Invest in solar.