Now in its fourth year, the Steampunk Ball continues to add all-ages activities to the futuristic Victorian-style fundraising event for the Lewis-Clark State College Center for Arts & History.
In addition to live entertainment, tea dueling, costume contest and fire dancers, this year’s ball will feature children’s activities in the upstairs gallery, including a marble maze, invention station and steampunk-themed entertainment. A maker station provides people of all ages a space and materials to create steampunk accessories.
Also new to this year’s event is the STEAMroom, a steampunk-inspired interactive puzzle room that uses science, technology, engineering, art and math. Held in the main floor’s third gallery, this all-ages, multi-room teambuilding activity accommodates from one to five guests and takes around 20 minutes to complete.
The STEAMroom costs $10 per person or $40 for five people, with all proceeds going to youth arts programming at the center. Everyone who completes the puzzle will be entered into a drawing for prizes from Lost Key Escape Rooms in Lewiston. The activity will be open during the ball and will continue through the end of the month. People can reserve time slots during gallery hours or other pre-arranged times by calling (208) 792-2447.
Saturday’s ball will close out the “Reclaim Revolution” exhibit, which opened earlier this month and features works that are reclaimed, remade or inspired by Victorian futurism.
The center is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday; admission is free, but donations are welcome.
IF YOU GO
WHAT: Fourth annual Steampunk Ball:Steam-powered Superheros
WHEN: 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: Lewis-Clark State College Center for Arts & History, 415 Main St., Lewiston
COST: $20/person, $15/students and center members, advance tickets are available at the center, LCSC Student Union Building, and the Blue Lantern Coffee House in Lewiston; Hogan’s Pub in Clarkston; and online at www.lcsc.edu/cah. All proceeds support Youth Arts Programming at the Center.
Punk for your apparel: Steampunk wardrobe tips from Kelsey Grafton, center program coordinator and steampunk aficionado:
- Keep it simple and use what’s in your closet.
- Give men’s button-up shirts a “steampunk” twist by leaving the collar straight up and folding an everyday necktie into an ascot-style tie.
- Wear black and add an accessory to your head, like googles, a big feather or a hat.
- Go with the story that you arrived in a time machine — whether it’s Victorian, modern day or futurist, make sure your backstory matches your outfit.
- Arrive to the ball in a simple outfit and head upstairs to make a steampunk accessory.
- Check out the steampunk costume section at JoAnn Fabrics or Spirit of Halloween.